Pages

Monday 21 November 2011

The Wonderful World of Beetroot!

I just love Beetroot! For those of you cringing about now I don't mean the stuff out of a can, although it definitely has a place in my pantry stores. I'm talking about fresh beetroot, lush green leaves, beautiful dark red colour and a deep earthy sweet flavour.  Whats not to love.


Beautiful Beets

I found a recipe in the paper weeks ago and was reminded of it when a friend visiting for the country  bought me a jar of home made beetroot relish.  Isn't that just so country and wholesome, home made beetroot relish from a country kitchen.  Well I blinked and I'd managed to eat the whole jar, on a sandwich, on a burger, or my favourite with a piece of cheese.  So rather than wait for another visit, I thought I'd try it out for myself, although I don't think relish made from my inner city kitchen has quite the same appeal.
Now do you think I could find the recipe I was looking for? It was gone, thrown out in a cleaning binge no doubt with all the other bits of newspaper that clutter my table tops.  After a bit of research I came up with my own version and in no time I had some relish for my cheese!  There is only one problem .... I think it needs some tweaking.... It tastes just fine, the flavour is spot on but my limited relish making experience has left me with strips of beetroot in a watery sauce.  Im not sure where I went wrong?

On the other hand I took some nice photos so will revisit my relish soon and try to perfect it. Until then enjoy the photos of my failed relish attempts!










Beetroot Relish - what not to do!

8 cups grated beetroot
2 cups grated apple
2 cups grated or finely chopped onions (brown or red)
3 cups vinegar - I used malt vinegar and white wine vinegar
2 tsp white mustard seeds
2 tsp black mustard seeds
the rind of one large orange
1 1/4 cups of brown or white sugar

Combine all the ingredients in a large saucepan and boil.  Once boiled simmer until vegetables are cooked and soft, leave to simmer for a further 30 mins. Place into pre-washed warm jars and seal while still hot.

1 comment:

  1. This doesn't look like much of a fail to me! Your photos are gorgeous and the relish looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete